Don’t make my mistakes – take a smoother path to reach your goals, with accountability…
If you are self-employed and either just about to launch your business or in the first few years of trading, you may be feeling a little overwhelmed at times. Aside from actually “doing what you do”, there is so much more to running a business than you imagined. You now have about 20 different job titles, several of which, if you had to be honest, you would admit aren’t your strong points – and what’s more, you don’t really want to do them – if you had time – which you don’t anyway!
All these job titles need consistent action and your list of “Things to do” is ever increasing and half of it is static and then becomes overlooked – after all, you can’t do everything, right? If only you had someone who could help you get more focused, help you see what you should be concentrating on and could give you a plan to be more productive!
You’d love someone to ask questions of, as and when, as neither you or your business partner have all the answers (that’s if you have a business partner to brainstorm with). Your spouse is fed up of you complaining you are tired. You rarely see your children as you are busy working and feel guilty that you forget the little details of their lives and as for “Me” time – well, is that short for “Meeting time” perhaps? In your world of self-employment looking after yourself, enjoying free time and having a reasonable work/life balance are all at the bottom of your list.
Running a business can feel as if it has taken over your entire life
I feel your pain, for I have been there. For over 20 years I was a self-confessed workaholic. First as a “City girl”, working 80 hour weeks, from 6am to midnight and always at weekends. Whilst recovering from a car crash my contract was suddenly terminated, due to the recession. I had no option but to set up my own business, as I wasn’t able to walk/sit for long so was virtually unemployable to anyone else. Plus, I had been working midnight to midday so my sleep pattern was out of sync and I was in so much pain I could barely sleep anyway. With little financial backing, I started the hard way and set about learning everything I could about how to run a business.
15 years later I have run several successful businesses and wanted to show others some of the things that I learned the hard way:
- you don’t need to work 60+ hours a week to be successful
- that 2 heads are better than 1 – find yourself a sounding board/mentor/business coach as soon as you can
- that you need to work “on” your business as well as “in” it – if you don’t know the difference, I’ll show you!
- invest in yourself as well as your staff; you send them on training courses – extend this self-development to you too!
- running your own business needn’t be overwhelming
- what marketing works and what doesn’t
- you need to practice self-care – I worked 6-7 days a week, every week ongoing for many years and didn’t take time off to recover from several accidents over a 20 year span. Eventually, my body had a complete structural breakdown and I lost most of my range of movement. I had to take 2 years out to have intense physio and rehabilitation, learning to walk and sit again so that I could get back into the working world
- value yourself – don’t put all your salary back into the business – pay yourself a living wage at least
- ensure you have an emotional support group behind you from the beginning
- and so much more…
If you would like to know more about how I can help you move your business forward more quickly and painlessly, contact me to book your free 20 minute “Business Review” and let’s work out a plan to improve your business.
You can also join my Facebook group for business tips, advice, articles and resources or to ask questions of the experts in there Bite Sized Tips
My group online programs…
- Want to learn the basics of social media, PR, running a viable business plus get mentoring 1-2-1 and group support – as well as much more? Then join “Start-up Survival” – my Business Fundamentals 6 week group online program, starting in January – details here
- Need an accountability partner? If procrastination is your best friend and goal setting an activity that is regularly forgotten, then join my “Accountability Focus” group online program – running every week of 2018 in a closed Facebook group. Priced at £50 a month (with a 3 month minimum commitment) you get a personal accountability buddy, feedback from a business mentor and support of the team community to ensure you meet your goals, with regular check-ins, motivation, advice and support. Limited availability – book your space here